Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Results Are In!

Today your Daddy and I went to my 20 week appointment and, drum roll please....it's a GIRL!  I was torn on what I thought the answer was going to be, but I have to admit I was thoroughly shocked with the ultrasound technician announced that we were having a little mademoiselle (her word, seriously, I love her).


I'm still not really sure it has sunk in, and now I'm realizing that I really did think it was going to be a boy.  I certainly had no preference, so I'm in no way disappointed, just surprised.  Really surprised.

I know you will be wonderful and I'm fairly certain you will have your Daddy wrapped around your little finger in no time.  He told me that a few days ago he watched a father and young daughter shooting around at the basketball courts and decided at that time that a girl would be acceptable.

I have to admit I'm slightly terrified at the prospect of raising a girl.  Not initially, not as a baby or a small child, but as a teenager.  Teen girls are a ticking time bomb and I worry both about raising you to be an amazing young adult and also helping you get through the tough times that every teenager inevitably experiences.  I hope that we can guide you to make smart decisions and that you will always realize we are here to help you at every turn.  I am fairly certain that one day you will be convinced that I am the enemy and I don't know anything, but I also hope that one day you will realize that I am doing the best I can.


Over the past couple of weeks it has become visibly apparent that I am indeed pregnant.  I haven't had much of a reference as to how big I "should" be at this point, but after today's ultrasound I am feeling a little better about the belly I'm carrying around.  Everything I read about your size compares you to a fruit (currently somewhere between a large mango and small cantaloupe), but I tend to forget that you also have growing arms and legs that don't stay all curled up in there all the time.  Today your feet were all the way over on the right side of my stomach, quite far away from your head pointed downward and your little bottom off to the left.  Silly me to forget the little acrobat you have become and to think that you would just be sitting in there in a little ball.

We got to see your little fingers and you have the cutest little feet.  You have an adorable little button nose and I'm just certain you are perfect.  I hope that you don't inherit the bump in my nose or my large ankles, and for my own sake, I hope you don't get your Daddy's very big head.

Dr. Rosenbaum says you are measuring about a week ahead of my due date, but that is no concern.  We talked about the fact that Daddy and I were both quite large babies and she says we just need to understand that you will probably also be on the big side.  And that's okay.

Grandpa Mike and Grandma Norma left this morning.  We had a nice visit with them and, as predicted, we got your furniture put together!  Grandma and Grandpa took care of the crib.


And Daddy and Grandpa tackled the dresser.


  

And I think they both look just lovely.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Peanut,
    I cannot begin to tell you how excited your cousins and I are to find out that you're a girl! I haven't really felt it all along, but over the last few weeks I had really begun to think of you as a girl. In time you will learn that I am always right. You will be, too; it's the privilege of eldest children. We love you already and can't wait to cuddle you and play with you and teach you everything we know. Be good to your mommy and daddy and know that you have a whole branch of family in the Midwest who will be watching you grow up and treasuring every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your father's mother I am so looking forward to seeing you-women in this family are strong and independant, as I am sure you will be. You will need to listen to what your mother and father tell you, no one will ever love you more than them. I am also sure that your Grandma Norma and I will be happy to spoil you-it is our right. You are very blessed to have two Aunts who will love and support you, you also have two uncles who I am sure you will have wrapped around your little finger. You are also blessed to have your Grandpa Mike to love and care for you(and to put things together for you).What I am trying to say is I love You!

    ReplyDelete