Sunday, October 16, 2016

O'ahu 2016

Ah, we just got back from our annual Hawaii trip.  Best annual trip I could think of!  This year my conference was in O'ahu at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on the north end of Waikiki.
We were starving by the time we made it to check in so we headed straight out to find dinner.  You were excited when we all got umbrellas in our hamburgers so we wore them in our hair.
This trip you were so excited about finding statues that were your size and getting pictures with them.
First morning:  up at 3:30 a.m.
So, why not go to the beach and wait for the sun to come up?
It's never too early to play in the sand.




We started our trip off right with a visit to the Dole Plantation.  Love this photo.


World's largest maze.
First taste of Dole Whip.  I think it was more tart than you were expecting but you soon decided it was a win.  *Dairy-free, too!*

In line for the Pineapple Express.  It was a long wait today, but I guess the last time we were here it was pouring down rain so it probably wasn't a very good representation of what is typical.


All aboard!
Lambie and Lola ready for the ride.

Back at the hotel.  We got moved to a better room when it opened up.  Can't complain about that!  Just beautiful.
We were finishing dinner just as the sun started so set so it was the perfect opportunity to sit and watch.
Just watching the sunset....
....and eating lemons.

We of course visited the pool every day.  Your favorite part of any vacation.
Another early morning.  I think the rest of the trip you made it until at least 4:30.



Daily breakfast on the balcony.
Day 2 Daddy wanted to do a little hike to Makapu'u Lighthouse.  We made a few stops along the way to enjoy the scenery.


Now for the hike.  I knew already that you were tired and was skeptical of how this was going to go.
Sitting down at the trail head and taking your shoes off was probably a good indication you were not up for this.
It wasn't long before you were on Dad's back.


And then mine.  Look at that face.

We made it about halfway to a nice lookout point and stopped for a rest.  Here you are trying to sleep on Dad's arm.  At this point I decided to let Daddy go the rest of the way on his own and we would just work on making it back to the car.
At some point while we were sitting you got enough energy to declare that you needed a picture for Grandma Tami, so here you go Grandma.
This one too.

Then we headed back down the hill, with me carrying you 99% of the way.
Daddy's pictures from finishing the hike.


When we were done we drove on a little farther where I could see some of the sights I missed on the last part of the hike.  I am so in love with this state.
If you squint really hard you can see the lighthouse, a tiny speck on the left side of the mountain.
And as soon as we were back in the car, you were out.  Sleeping legs crossed like a lady, might I add.
In front of the hotel walking back from dinner.
Day 3 was a full work day for me so you and Daddy took a trip to the Waikiki Aquarium.  Not many pictures when Dad is in charge but you had fun and were excited to tell me about it.

Day 4 was a half day of work so you and Daddy spent the morning at the Honolulu Zoo.
 

I think this picture may have been mid-granola bar.  You look a bit disheveled and I think there is chocolate on your face.
That morning I asked you what you most wanted to see and you said the flamingos.  You were in luck there were 2 flamingo exhibits.  You claim this is now your favorite animal.  You were also wearing your flamingo shirt to top it all off.

I always have one business dinner to attend where I receive a real flower lei.  At the end of the meal this year someone at my table offered me his lei for you and the next thing I knew I was headed back to the room with 5 so you had lots of fun playing with those the next morning.

Nu'uanu Pali Lookout.  It was so windy I couldn't hold the camera still to take pictures and even found it hard to breathe.  Fortunately you were asleep in the car.  (Daddy and I take turns when that happens.)



Even though you had all the real leis, I promised you that you could choose one to take home so this is your own lei and new hat that you picked.
Random stop on the side of the road.


Full moon.
I found out our hotel sets off fireworks every Friday and we could conveniently see them from our balcony.  I'll admit you've never seen fireworks in person before so I was really excited for you.  It gets dark so late on July 4th that I usually let you watch the New York fireworks on TV and then just go to bed.

We were all excited and waiting on the balcony and as soon as they started you covered your ears and I pulled you into my lap.  You clearly didn't like the noise so Daddy said he would take you inside so that I could still watch.  You two turned off the lights and laid in the bed to watch out the window and that was good enough for you.  (You later said it was not just the noise but that we were very close to the fireworks, which was very true and understandable that it would concern you.)

I was happy because I got to watch but also because I got to try out fireworks pictures for the first time with a decent camera.  I am super excited with how they turned out and think if I actually had a tripod they could be even better.



Random bird.

We decided to spend our last day in Waimea Valley with another short hike to a waterfall.  We packed a lunch and headed out, hoping you would be feeling a little more perky this time.

Peacock!



Lunch break!



You were of course "reading" to Dad what the sign said.

Love this picture with you two tiny in the left corner.


You did really good, but eventually needed a little boost.
We made it!

Rainbow shining through.


I am fascinated by waterfalls.

I was super excited to spot this rainbow in the sky.  You have been asking for months to see a rainbow and thought you would be thrilled.  Instead, when I pointed it out your response was more of a shrug.




Another Kinley-sized statue.
Sand angels?
Not exactly a statue, but the baggage size display will work.
Great trip.  My favorite place with my favorite people.  Happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment