Hello Peanut, welcome to the world.
Before I get ahead of myself, let’s start at the
beginning. It was October 2011. I was in a foul mood, not just one day, but
for weeks. I wasn’t really sure why, but it was wearing
on me in everything that I did. I
pondered over what was wrong and come up with nothing. Until one day, out of the blue, it hit
me: I wanted a baby. I had never really sat down and thought about
the prospect of trying to get pregnant, but I realized then and there that it
was something that was on my mind all the
time.
So my mood continued for a few more days as I tried to
figure out the best way to tell your father.
I knew he was not going to be
on the same page on this and I had no idea of how to broach the subject. So finally one day I just spit it out, “I
want to have a baby.” I’m pretty
sure if he hadn't already been sitting, he may have fallen over.
Of course I was right, he was NOT ready for that, and I was
okay with that. I had gotten it out in
the open and that alone made me feel better.
I didn’t pressure him about it or constantly bring it up….at first. But as the months dragged on, my silence slowly
turned into gently prodding and over time I was able to get an actual
conversation or two out of him.
Fast forward to June 29, 2012. The Toliver family had just finished their
vacation with us and we were talking about the visit and the kids (and about
what a great mother I will be, of course).
And the conversation turned toward our own children. This was the most productive conversation
we’d had on the subject to date, though I still didn’t really expect it was
going anywhere. Then out of nowhere,
your dad nearly blew me away when he agreed that we could start trying for a
baby around January. I was stunned. The conversation continued, and imagine my
disbelief when, not 30 minutes later, he decided why not go ahead and give it a
try now. As I’d told him, it takes most
people several months to actually get pregnant, and for some couples it can be
years.
Over the next couple of weeks I found myself feeling dizzy occasionally
and unbelievably tired. I shrugged this
off as nothing. I experience dizziness from time to time anyway, and we were in the process of getting ready
to move, so the tiredness seemed fitting when you considered all the packing
I’d been doing.
July 19, 2012: Your
dad starts to realize that maybe something is different. I share with him my suspicions that I may
actually be pregnant, and the next day….pregnancy test!
So here we are, pretty sure we’re having a baby. I’m bursting with excitement, a little
scared, and unable to think about anything else. I even notice your dad talking about it far
more than I would have expected. He’s
been checking to make sure I’m taking prenatal vitamins and has already done
the math to determine that 9 months would put your arrival right around
April. He’s already thinking about
whether it will be safe for us to travel for the holidays and that the second
bedroom will no longer be his “office.”
He’s even starting to think about baby names a little. Excited
may be a bit of a stretch, but I can honestly say that I think he’s warming up
to the idea rather quickly.
I'm happy to say that things are looking good for the Britz Family these days.
No comments:
Post a Comment