*deep breath*
I don't even know how to begin this post. Or how much to say. Or how to say the right things. Your Uncle Skylur has been very, very ill. It started the first week of July. He was having very bad stomach pains and was admitted to the hospital. He was there for a couple of days and had his gallbladder removed and went home.
Then about 2 weeks later, we got news that he was back in the hospital again. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong. His kidney function was declining. He was very nauseous and vomiting every day. They ran all kinds of tests and still couldn't pinpoint the problem. He's been undergoing dialysis and they've now started plasma treatments as well.
As of last Friday they diagnosed him with something called Atypical HUS. We've all done our research and it's really, really scary. They started a new medicine immediately, but it could be weeks or months before they'll know if it's working. He could get worse before he gets better. And, day after day, it feels like we keep getting more and more bad news.
He's been in 3 different hospitals for almost month now. It feels like much longer. Grandma Tami was there for 2 weeks and is going back on Monday to stay indefinitely. Daddy was there for 1 week and we will take him to the airport tomorrow morning for his second visit. Aunt Jessica and Uncle Josh were there earlier this week.
Through it all your Aunt Krystal has been by his side, day and night. She is amazing. She has been keeping us all informed about what is going on and making sure he is getting the best care possible. Although we only met her for the first time in May, I feel like she's been part of the family forever. We are so thankful that she is there to be with Skylur through all of this and are amazed at how well she is handling it.
We don't know how long he will be in the hospital or if there is any possibility of a full recovery. We're scared. We feel completely helpless. We wish there was something, anything we could do, but there's really not.
I have been trying to put in extra effort to spend lots of time doing fun things with you and playing and creating a happy environment for you. But it's hard. Sometimes when I get updates I want to cry, but then you're standing right there and I want to put on a happy face for you. I try to be strong for Daddy because I know he needs me to be there for him.
I wish there was a happy ending to this story, but right now we're all just waiting and hoping for the very best outcome possible. We hope that Uncle Skylur will be his old self again one day and that you will grow up to know him and love him the way that we do.
Brittany that was very well said. I'm wiping the tears away as I type this.
ReplyDelete