One month left until you are two! We have been talking a lot about your birthday party and you are getting yourself prepared by singing the "Happy Birthday" song. Only your version goes "happy birthday....to you....dear Kinley." You have all the important parts anyway.
You have been starting to sing parts of more and more other songs as well. A few of the first I heard were Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and Ring Around the Rosie, but there have been many more since then. You also tell me to turn on music to listen to, which I think is funny and cute.
Favorite phrase: "one more time." Everything is one more time. Read a book: one more time! Sing a song: one more time! Tickle you: one more time! Finish a favorite snack: one more time! And of course, during the short pause between songs: one more music!
For awhile you were declaring things were awesome. Mostly you like to stand on Daddy's lap and plop down as hard as you can and exclaim "it's awesome!" We're not exactly sure where this came from since neither of us think we say awesome all that much, but I'll assume since you spend most of your time with me it probably came from me.
To add a little extra humor, when you would say "it's awesome" Daddy and I would usually say "that's funny," to one another. So one day you plopped down on his lap exclaiming "it's awesome," followed by a short pause, then looked directly at me and told me "that's funny." Sort of like you were telling me I should be laughing.
I'm always trying to come up with new forms of entertainment during all the time we spend at home. Some recent things that you have enjoyed: a picnic lunch in the living room, playing with colored rice, finger paints, blowing bubbles in the bathtub, painting with watercolors on the wall in the bathtub, matching pictures on cards (a spin on the traditional Memory game, just doing it with the cards face up), building towers, etc.
You can now open both the refrigerator and the trash can on your own and you are enjoying this new freedom. You get in the fridge and help yourself to a cheese stick several times each day. Luckily you can't open the cheese on your own or I would be in trouble. It is nice that I can tell you to go put your milk in the fridge and you totally do it. You are also loving the chance to throw things away on your own. So far I have only found a couple of non-trash items in the can, but I do try to do a quick scan every time I open it up. In your defense, the things you have thrown in are things that you believe are trash, like an empty Gladware container that is the same size and shape as the little mandarin orange cups you like, so I get it. And if you throw something in the trash and I tell you no, that's recyclable you will pull it back out and go put it in the recycling instead. Love that you love to clean up after yourself.
Also kudos to you that when I am getting things in and out of the oven I ask you to go in the living room and wait until I tell you it's okay to come back and you absolutely do it without complaint.
It's rare that you and Daddy go somewhere in the car without me but a couple of times recently when you have, he says that you sat in your seat saying, "Jonfun and Kinley" and were quite pleased with it.
Sometimes when we just need a little fresh air we go outside for a short walk up the street. I keep you interested by looking for letters and numbers as we go and you get to practice going up and down the stairs when we are done before we go back in the apartment. You enjoy this, but not as much as you enjoy the playground. So a few times when we have gone outside for a walk you have told me that we need to go in the car instead.
You have become very concerned with loud noises lately. Sometimes you seem a little upset or concerned when there is a loud noise. But now it's developed into you declaring every noise is a loud noise. A couple of weeks ago you seemed like you might be showing the signs of a cold coming on so I put a humidifier in your bedroom before bed. When you walked in the room you immediately declared "loud noise" and pointed straight at it and you wanted it turned off. I turned it down to the lowest setting but as you tried to go to sleep you just kept saying "loud noise." This week you've had a full-blown cold but I didn't even bother getting it out this time.
You like to tell me when you are doing something you're not supposed to. Like if you are playing with stickers I will hear you say "no no mouth" or "no no furniture." When I put your hair up you like to have your own hair band to hold while I do it and you tell me "no no wrist" as you put it on your wrist. I would prefer if you didn't do these things at all but at least if you tell me you're doing it I know I need to stop you.
I noticed on February 7 that you have 2 new molars on the bottom. The day I noticed they were both already in most of the way so I don't really know when they broke through but it does confirm my suspicions of late as you have at times had trouble sleeping and have been back to putting things in your mouth more than normal.
You love to wash your hands. I can't say this is a bad thing. We normally only do it after you go potty or if we've been playing outside, but this week you have discovered that you can climb up on the step and turn the water on and off on your own. So I have many, many times seen you running to the bathroom saying "wash hands" or even just heard the water going on and off from another room. Sometimes I've seen you intentionally squish food in your hands so that you can get up and go wash your hands in the middle of a meal. At which point I close the door to the bathroom and make you very angry.
Last week Daddy had a work function one night so you didn't get to see him before bed. In the morning I heard you get out of bed so I got up to go help you to the potty. Only you weren't interested in using the potty, instead you were walking around the apartment looking for something. You made your way to our bedroom and pointed to the bed saying "I found him!" Since then, "I found him/her" or "I found it" have been very popular phrases. Including, very loudly, at the library when you saw my head pop up over a bookshelf.
You always yell "football" when we drive by the Palisades high school and you can see the football field.
You can reach most of the light switches now.
You understand way more than we give you credit for.
We're pretty sure Bunny has replaced Pendleton as favorite animal.
We made our first diaper-free outings this week with no accidents!
No comments:
Post a Comment