Sunday, June 3, 2018

Bravo

Today was the second and final performance for your dance class.  It's been a long year of dance.  You've had a lot of fun, but you've also grown weary and you say you don't want to do it again next year.  I am so proud of you for all your hard work and I am so impressed by the quality of the show, all the hard work, and how amazing it turned out.  In many ways, the last two days, however exhausting, have made some of the pain leading up to this event all worth it.  But at the same time, I am SO glad it's all over.

The pictures below are a mix of picture day, dress rehearsal, backstage at the show, and from the audience.  Due to the mix, they may end up in a strange order but I don't have the energy to organize them.  Enjoy!

Agh, these pictures from my photographer friend Tasha are to die for!  I don't always love photos of myself, but I cherish every picture that I have with you.

There were 42 girls ages 3-6 in our dressing room.  That made for a lot of chaos, a few tears, and a lot of fun.






Headed to the stage!
I adore all of these pictures of you kids watching in awe as we approached the side of the stage and got to watch the dancers before you.




When things get too hectic, gather everyone for Duck Duck Goose.

Back to the stage.



More waiting in the dressing room.
I just asked for a picture together.  These poses were all you.





I am so glad I got to help backstage during yesterday's show.  You were happy to have me there, but I was also so happy to get to see how it all comes together and how much goes into the show.  I think it made me appreciate today's show from the audience even more.

By the second day you were so exhausted that when we watched the show I could see your enthusiasm waning by the second dance.  When I went to pick you up after the show you immediately burst into tears.  This was way too much to fit into 2 days for kids your age.

My view from side stage.
They brought everyone back on stage for the Finale.  I heard there were something like 300 dancers.  This is my view from the back.  Just a teensy glimpse at how many people there were back there helping to keep things running smoothly.
Coming off the stage after the first song during the first show you excitedly told another Mom, "they even clapped for us!"  Later Daddy asked you how many people you thought were in the crowd and you guessed probably about 10 (there were at least 1,000).

During the second show, Daddy and I were seated around row 5.  During your first song you spotted us and waved during the middle of your dance.  When the song was over you paused halfway across the stage and gave everyone a big wave before disappearing behind the curtains.
It took a massive amount of mousse, hairspray, barrettes, bobby pins, hairnet, etc. to get a proper "ballet bun" in your short hair.  Prior to yesterday you had never heard of mousse.  This morning when I was getting it out:
me:  "I'm going to put in some of this again."
you:  "The....donkey?"
You knew it was an animal, just not the right one.

After we got home and I took all the pins and things out of your hair I found you in the bathroom throwing water at your hair trying to make it less stiff.  It was too late for a full shower, so we opted to wash your hair in the sink to get all the gunk out.



To wrap things up, here are the full dances from dress rehearsal, each song divided into 2 to meet the size limits here.



No comments:

Post a Comment