Tuesday, March 31, 2020

March 2020

Wow.  What a crazy month this has been.  These first pictures from March 2 feel like a million years ago.  There is so much to talk about, but I feel like the pictures help tell the story so let's just start at the beginning and work our way through.

Read Across America day, when life was normal.  You chose to dress up as Silky from The Magic Faraway Tree series.


That first week of March was pretty normal.  We had been hearing for months about COVID-19 and the Coronavirus and we knew it would eventually have an impact on us, but at this point, nothing had really changed yet.  Pandemic seems like such a heavy word, it didn't ever seem like we could acually be headed into that kind of reality.

On Friday of that week was the first interaction I can recall where we chose forego a handshake as the impending doom was becoming more clear.  On Saturday we chose to skip an event at the Tennis Garden because we didn't want to be in large crowds.  On Sunday the first case in the Coachella Valley was confirmed.  By Monday, March 9 I recall sitting during your dance class thinking that this was probably the last time we'd be at the studio for awhile, and that same evening, 3 more local cases were confirmed.  On Tuesday the 10th we sent you to school and I spent the entire day in a near panic that you may not be safe there.  That night we made the decision to keep you home for the remainder of the week and we were fully expecting the school to be closed by the end of the week.

So, Wednesday March 11 was the day when our family started our own "quarantine" period.  For the remainder of that week, we worked through the homework that we already had at home with us and your school was very understanding.  We found out later than about half of your class was out that whole week so we were certainly not the only ones.  By Friday, Riverside county decided to close all schools for 3 weeks and by Tuesday, March 17 that closure was extended through at least April 30.

You learned how to make friendship bracelets and spent much of Thursday afternoon and Friday making yourself a nice collection.
We were originally planning a trip to San Diego for your birthday weekend.  We were going to visit Birch Aquarium and the beach and just have a fun family weekend.  But we realized a couple of weeks in advance that we were going to have to cancel the trip.  It just didn't seem worth the risk.  We did our best to make it a fun weekend anyway, and since Daddy and I had already taken off work Friday, we just decided to start celebrating that day anyway.  So, on Thursday night the decorations went up and the birthday weekend was set to start first thing Friday morning.
You asked for a scavenger hunt to find your gifts and we decided Saturday was a good day for that, but we thought we would give you one big gift early so when you woke up on Friday morning you found these two big boxes and we got to work right away....
....assembling....
....a new desk!
Modeling your bracelets.
The rest of Friday was spent rearranging your bedroom to make room for the desk, making your cake, and just general family time.
You requested an ocean life birthday theme an an angel food cake with blue frosting.  Originally I planned to do this for you and have the final product be a surprise, but since you were home anyway I asked if you wanted to help and you had a great time.  In fact, I let you do all the frosting and decorating yourself....complete with Smores goldfish and leaping dolphin.
We've been having great weather and spending lots of time in the backyard.  We've even been making a point to eat some of our meals outside and it's been really nice.  Here you are Friday evening after dinner giving us a little dance.  This is the short preview.
Here's the full dance.  You are currently loving Donkey from Shrek 2 and this is your dance pretending to be Donkey dipping his hooves into the soup at dinner.
Saturday morning scavenger hunt.  You wanted to get started right away so I had to have everything in place the night before.
I wanted to give you a nice challenge so I sent you outside,
digging through plants,
in the garage,
and even in the dryer.
And finally, time to open the gifts!


Your very own Polaroid camera.  It prints little pictures on stickers.
We went on a walk in the neighborhood so you could take pictures.
Lots of rain this week!  We even had ducks!
You got 37 new books for your birthday and the timing couldn't have been better.  Now it's the end of the month and you have only 3 left unread, and that's only because those are books that you and I are planning to read together and waiting on me always slows you down.
Cake!
Blowing out your candles, a bit timidly.
Yum!
We put this up for your Polaroids.
To go along with your ocean-themed birthday you also got new wall stickers.  I wasn't sure where you would want them or if the castle would stay, but we ultimately decided to turn it into an underwater castle, which I love.  Plus dolphins, kelp, sea turtles, fish, etc.




Monday, March 16:  Birthday Morning!  Per your request, French toast and hot chocolate with 7 marshmallows.
Your birthday also ended up being the first day that schools were officially closed.  So, we started our distance learning.  I also had the genius idea that I was going to work on our personal taxes before I got too busy with your school work, which backfired and I ended up angry and now, even weeks later, I feel guilty for ruining your birthday.
Since that first day of distance learning, there have been multiple new orders at the City, County, and State levels telling people to stay at home and closing down businesses.  The first week of distance learning was extremely overwhelming, but we've figured out a routine and we're doing much better now.  I am enjoying the extra time with you and I try really hard to make sure we still have fun each day.

I know you are scared.  I am scared, too.  I try to just be here with lots of hugs and offer whatever comfort I can.  It's all very surreal.  In some ways it feels like all that's going on is just happening outside our little bubble that we've created and that as long as we're here at home all will be fine.  But then there are the days when I'm wiping down groceries with disinfecting wipes and it seems like the virus could sneak into our home in a million different ways.

Today, March 31, there are 371 confirmed cases and 13 deaths in Riverside County, and that number is growing exponentially each day.  For now all we can do is stay home and make the most of the situation.  And that's exactly what we are doing.  We have a lot to be thankful for.  Thankful for our family.  Thankful that Daddy and I can both go on working and getting paid.  Thankful that we have a nice home and a yard and we are no longer in a small apartment.  And so very thankful that we have our health.
Here you are with all the different sound sources you collected for Mr. Kay's first music assignment.
This is the day we practiced spelling words in shaving cream.
And maybe you made a shaving cream snowman as well.
Painting window art that you got for your birthday.
Getting your last fun out of the birthday decorations.


Fancy nails!
We've been doing lots of schoolwork on the driveway.


And Mr. Kisling even assigned us a treasure hunt in the yard.
You have declared that math at home is more fun (YAY!!!).  I can't tell you how relieved this makes me feel.  I love math!

I usually make your math harder than it's intended to be.  And you know it.  Sometimes you tell me, "Mom, I think we're getting a little farther into this than we need to."  But I like to prove to you that you can do it, because I know you can.
Virtual class meetings.
We make sure to get at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day, which we deem P.E.  This has been lots of scootering, obstacle courses, dancing, running laps, and we've even been able to swim a couple of times!
All this time outside means you've been doing lots of checking in on your hummingbirds and butterflies that visit the yard.  It's hard to see but in this picture there is a butterfly on the pavement.  We decided that maybe it was hurt so you gave it some flowers to make it feel better.
Your old table now sits next to my desk so you can be nearby for your schoolwork.  The tabletop has endured years of abuse and the finish was damaged in several places from where I had removed old paint so I suggested that we paint it last weekend.  We did a little sanding first, and here you are drawing your design.


Mixing your colors.
And starting to paint.
Paint complete, just needs the final outline and sealant.
Making chocolate chip cookies!  Also, Mommy gave haircuts.
Here is the final table.  I love how it turned out!
Finally, this week Miss Lindsay started offering online dance classes.  I signed you up for everything she offered in your age group.  I think the more interaction we get with the outside world, the better.
What else happened this month?  You lost tooth another tooth.  Daddy started a new job at Starz yesterday.

And then there was the day I asked you to sweep the kitchen after dinner:
K:  "Who put all this junk all over the place?"
Me:  "I don't know, who do you think that could have been?"
K:  "Well I know it wasn't me.  I would have known I'd have to clean it up."

I love you, Sweetie.

No comments:

Post a Comment