Saturday, May 30, 2020

Virtual Dance Recital

Today was your first ever virtual dance recital.  Despite the pandemic, you have been working hard at your Zoom dance classes and since everyone had already bought costumes, Miss Lindsay decided to hold an online recital via Zoom.

I know you were not very excited about the idea.  You were in fact, quite nervous, which I found interesting since you never think twice about performing on stage.  But I really wanted it to feel special for you, so we decorated a wall for you to stand in front of and Dad and I dressed up and we even had a bouquet of *artificial* flowers to give you after the show.

The fun thing about a virtual recital is that we were able to invite family and friends who may otherwise never get to see you perform.  Grandma and Grandpa watched, and Aunt Brandee, and even Sharron in Houston.

I tried so hard to get as much light as possible, but let's face it, we don't have stage lighting in our living room.  I tried very hard to get some good photos anyway and hopefully I can find one or two good enough to frame.

Your first dance was ballet, Favorite Things.





And, after a quick costume change, your second dance was jazz, Splish Splash.  For the record, you are NOT a fan of this costume.




You were very excited about the flowers.  You sprayed them with lavender oil and we found a "vase" and put them by your bed.
I filmed both dances but they are really too long to post here so I'll just give you a couple of quick clips for now.  I have chosen these only because these are the two things that Google photos automatically made into GIFs without any effort on my part.
This one is actually from your dress rehearsal, hence the naked wall and floppy ponytail.










I can't get enough of this ballerina butt.  Could it be any cuter?!?

Here's our whole setup:  windows completely exposed, recital on the TV, Zoom video from the laptop, camera recording on the coffee table, costume change set up off screen.  If anyone wants to know why my video recording was so bad, give me a break, I had 15 different things to organize here!  Not to mention, I wanted to watch myself!
The recital was broken up over 3 days.  You only performed on the 2nd day but we watched all 3 anyway.  I think each day had well over 150 people logged in.
I'm so proud of you for continuing to work hard at your dance, and keeping a good attitude (most of the time), even though life as we know it has been completely turned upside down.  I love how much you love to dance and I hope it is something that you will continue to work at and enjoy for many years to come.

*Side note:  I recently subscribed you to this blog so that you will receive new messages via email.  You have known about Our Little Peanut for a long time, but this is the first post that you will ever see in real time.  As I sit here typing, I find that the words are not flowing as freely as usual, which just goes to show that even I sometimes get nervous when things change.  I guess I am feeling like the pressure is really on now.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment