Favorite phrase this month: "Hmph"
From time to time you pick up little phrases like that from books that you read and it always cracks me up. Especially when it's something like "hmph," which is common in books, but not often pronounced so clearly (with the F sound at the end) in regular conversation. Keep up all your reading, Sweetie. It's one of my favorite things about you.
We've been working with you on accepting feedback and instructions openly. Admittedly, this is something that is hard for almost everyone, including most adults. But I figure if we can work on it now, it's a skill that would serve you well throughout your life. To be fair, when we talk about your behavior, Dad and I look at ourselves to make sure that we are backing up those things in our own behavior. As such, the theme in our family this month has been: "I accept your feedback with gratitude." It's probably something that we are all going to need to work on for some time.We have been doing a lot of drawing and crafts and science projects this summer. It's been a lot of fun for you and me both!
At one point, you started leaving Dad and me notes from your life's narrator. Mostly they were attempts to convince me to let you read the next Harry Potter book. Something must have worked, we're reading it now.
You made coupon books for Dad and me. We couldn't help noticing that the things on your lists seem to be things that benefit you more than us, but we love them anyway. And of course, no one can complain about infinity Love.
Possibly your favorite activity from your science book so far: homemade ice cream!
You wanted to expand your selection of Harry Potter characters so we have a whole school now. Dumbledore is my favorite. 😊
In some ways you seem so big and in other ways you still seem very young. This fact has not gone unnoticed by you. One day, after telling you, "Kinley, you're 7 years old," you asked why sometimes I say you are 7 years old like you are too big for things and other times I say it like you're not old enough.
I summed it up to you like this: "You are 7 years old. You are not old enough to drive a car, but you should be able to wipe your own butt."
Nevertheless, sometimes I just want to hold on to you and cling to that innocence you still have. One night you came in my bedroom at 3:30am and I asked what was wrong. With the sweetest concern you told me, "I can't find Caticat and I can't sleep without him." Your utter distress was definitely one of those hold-you-tight-and-never-let-go moments. (Also, we found him.)
One day you told me that you wished we could go to the mall. I am not a big shopper and neither are you. To us, going to the mall is mostly about Jamba Juice and Auntie Anne's. So, I suggested that we could make our own pretzels at home. Since it was your idea I got out the ingredients and let you do it all yourself, and you did great!Snack building activity. Fun and yummy too!
A book we have been reading had a character who liked to quote poetry. One day you sat down and wrote this poem, which I think is pretty awesome. Dad and I were really impressed and I encouraged you to start a poetry journal. You have written quite a few poems that are really, really good. I think you are better at it than I am. I hope you will keep it up!
Homemade pulley. Seriously this science book is the best!
One day in the pool we were playing with a beach ball and Dad and I were both chasing after the ball trying to get to it first. Later you told me, "I always wondered what it was like to see you and Dad being silly."
Doodle Crate in process.
I needed to drop off a couple of things at the post office that wouldn't fit in the neighborhood box. I have been having Dad do any errands for me, but I decided we could both stand to get out of the house so I told you we were going to do it and we could just use the drive through drop off at the post office.
Next thing I knew, I walked into the kitchen to see you filling up two full-size water bottles to bring with us and a box of toys next to you on the floor. Mind you, the post office is about 2 minutes away. It's been so long since we've gone anywhere and it was so sweet it brought the biggest smile to my face. After we were done at the post office, I asked if you wanted me to drive around some before going home and you gave me an enthusiastic Yes. As we meandered around, it was like you were rediscovering our whole environment again. "Mom, look how close those mountains are!"
Doodle Crate complete! Felt succulent garden with clay snail and fountain.You started your own Harry Potter Club. We meet Saturdays after lunch. You start each meeting by taking attendance and you plan out activities for each week. So far we have (1) played a whole day at Hogwarts using Legos, (2) addressed Hogwarts letters to Harry's Cupboard Under the Stairs, (3) made lightning bolt scar shaped flowers, and (4) made biting books. Here are the books, which I think are pretty awesome.



















No comments:
Post a Comment