Saturday, August 8, 2020

My Poem for You

A few weeks ago when you started writing poetry, I wanted to encourage you in this endeavor, so I took it upon myself to write a poem for you. I typed it nicely, cut it out with decorative scissors, pasted it onto some flowered paper, and left it on your desk as a surprise. I knew you had found it when you came to me at my desk with tears in your eyes. I knew you would like it but didn't expect that reaction.

Fast forward to a few minutes ago when I told you to brush your teeth for bed and you came back a few minutes later with red watery eyes. I asked what was wrong and you broke into full sobs. I couldn't even understand what you were saying at first but eventually deduced that you were thinking about that poem again and how it made you happy.

I love your tender heart. As I was putting you to bed I took a few extra minutes for more hugs and to talk to you about how it's completely normal to cry when something makes you really happy, just as you might if you were sad or hurt.

So, since this seems to be special to you, I wanted to document that poem since there's a good chance that paper copy will one day be lost.


KINLEY

Sunshine, moonbeams, starlight shines,

Smiles, laughter, twinkling eyes.

On the Earth or in the skies,

The brightest light this girl of mine.


Kind and smart and funny too,

Loves to read and loves to dance.

Loving, laughing, there you are,

You’ll always be my shining star.


Calm your worries calm your fears,

Dry your eyes and dry your tears.

Snuggle in these arms of mine,

Cuddle close I’ll be your guide.


No comments:

Post a Comment