We have been watching the Disney Descendants movies and you are absolutely loving them. Not only the movies, but the music that goes along with them. We created your own playlist of your favorite songs and we listen to it every morning on the way to school, every afternoon on the way home, and generally more after we get home before, during, and after dinner. Let me take a moment to stress what a patient parent I am.
Your favorite song is called "It's Goin' Down" and you know the whole thing, start to finish. However, listening to you sing it over and over led me to realize that you don't always capture all the words correctly and we've identified some pretty funny takes on the lyrics.
empty ultimatum = empty old tomato
peace or war, it's up to you = hey Dolores up to you
pound for pound = pow-p-pow
Regardless of how many times I listen and how many times I have to remind you that Dad is still trying to work, I do love how much you are into this music and how you are compelled to dance and sing your heart out every time it's on. One of the best days was the day I decided to jump in and sing it with you and you seemed astounded that I, too, know every word.
Chillin' like a villian.
Working on your next great story. I agreed to help by acting as your editor so we sit down together weekly to review what you've written, make corrections, and if you get stuck, we talk about how to make your ideas come to life. I'm making it sound really great here, but in reality, some weeks are productive and many are really not, but we're trying. I know that you are an amazing writer and you have really great stories to share, I just want to support you and encourage you not to give up.
Maybe the most exciting thing this month was your first COVID-19 vaccine! I can't even put into words what a huge relief this has been. I'll be honest, our experience in actually getting the shot was pretty awful, including a 3+ hour trip, 45 minutes standing in line, watching a boy faint, and a very impatient man administering the shot, but you were such a trooper and we both survived.
New jammies from Grandma & Grandpa! Adorable!
Of course your favorite stuffed animals had to get their vaccines, too. You were a great nurse to them.
They even got their own bandages, stickers, and pupsicles when they were done.
Silly girl.
The day you decided to hold House Council elections.
We now know what happens when the power goes out during the school day (school goes on), when the power is out at the school in the morning (school closed), and when the power comes on at school but not at our house (school resumes). I realize it's fun for you, but I do admit that your constant rooting for power outages is not my favorite thing.
This outage came just a week after the neighbor's rather large BBQ grill went airborne in the middle of the night and crashed into the side of our house. These winds are no joke.
The lack of heat did give us a reason to test the fireplace for the first time though.
Someone apparently arriving to school in style this day.
Putting up the Christmas tree! Although it may appear you are sleeping under there, you were actually putting on the tree skirt.
And maybe being a little silly, too.
After I got the lights and garland on, you wanted to do the ornaments all on your own. You just set aside a few for me to put up high where you couldn't reach and you did all the rest yourself.
And it's beautiful.
We also put up the gingerbread and candy canes outside.
You had fun finding happy little places for the gingerbread boys and girls.
Thanksgiving! I convinced you and Dad that we should skip the turkey and have vegetarian meatloaves for Thanksgiving instead and it was SO MUCH BETTER! We still had the traditional sides and pecan pie, of course.
You wanted to help baste the meatloaves, but weren't liking the Balsamic vinegar smell in the sauce. Note the barrette pinching your nose shut.
Yum!
The 5th & 6th grade culinary class sent home farm-fresh salad, mashed potatoes, roasted carrots, and pumpkin pie the week before Thanksgiving so we decided to skip the pumpkin pie for our family meal since we'd already had it.
Day after Thanksgiving family outing.
Working on more decorations. We actually decided this guy is going inside this year because we thought he wouldn't stand up to the winds very well.
It's hard to see, but we did add a few lights outside. I think we could still use more, but I think for this year this is going to have to be good enough. There are some lights around the lower deck and in the bushes under the front windows. Mostly I just love the tree in the big windows. It makes me so happy that even if that's all we had I would be satisfied.
Early morning cuddles.
No comments:
Post a Comment