Saturday, January 5, 2013

12 Weeks to Go!

28 weeks pregnant and counting.  I've felt all along that there was lots of time left before your arrival, but as I had expected, as soon as we returned home after Christmas it suddenly seems like it is just around the corner.  It's not exactly that I don't feel ready, I'm just trying to make sure I have everything I need ready to go.  At long last we have ordered your crib mattress and bedding, and I think with that, we have at least enough to get by should you make an early appearance.  Place to sleep, car seat, clothes, diapers and wipes.

I had my 28 week appointment on Wednesday and everything is going well.  I never wrote about my last appointment because, quite frankly, I was embarrassed and feeling really down about it.  At 24 weeks, I had gained entirely too much weight in the preceding 4 weeks and had a nice long talk with the doctor about it.  You have pretty regularly measured a week or so ahead of your due date, but at that appointment, you were up to 3 weeks ahead.  I walked out feeling like it was my fault and I was doing something terribly wrong.

But, I made some improvements to my diet (Christmas aside) and increased my activity and actually started feeling physically better as a result.  I was able to maintain my weight pretty well, and when I went in on Wednesday I had gained only 1 pound since last time.  Dr. Rosenbaum was very pleased with me (us) and I walked out feeling so much better.  Don't worry, you have not stopped growing a bit.  Still measuring 3 weeks ahead, but I've come to terms with that and the doctor is not concerned.  She intends to monitor you a little more closely than she otherwise would, but that's for my benefit and I appreciate it. I continue to have people constantly tell me how "tiny" I am for how far along we are, and it makes me laugh.
Last week I did my first load of baby laundry, and I have to say, it was the most enjoyable laundry I've ever done.  Your things are just so stinkin' cute I can't help but smile.
As predicted, your Aunt Brandee hosted an amazing baby shower while we were home.  As is her style, she had everything planned down to the last detail and I'm thrilled to say we had a really great turnout.
Our Christmas visit was wonderful, as usual.  It went way too fast, also the usual.  We had to cut our visit short by one day to beat a huge winter storm headed our way so we left in a hurry and got home feeling sad that I didn't get to spend as much time with everyone as I'd wanted.  It has me thinking even more about whether Christmas is the right time for us to make our holiday trip, so we have been tossing around ideas about whether Thanksgiving would be the better holiday for travel.  I like to think that there aren't too many things that really stress me out, but traveling in bad weather is one that tops the list.  I can only imagine that adding an infant into the mix might just send me over the edge.
Now, about your name.  While we spent our last day in the Midwest sitting in the airport for 6 hours, I picked a name for you.  Let me clarify that we had collectively narrowed down the options to a list of 13 names that we could both agree on.  All I did was pick two of these and put them together, and declared that was it.  Your father hasn't entirely agreed to it yet, but he hasn't said no either.  I'm still open to other options if he would like to make a suggestion, but the longer he waits it's going to be harder to change my mind as I've already begun thinking of you as this name.  *For anyone reading this in real time, don't ask, we won't tell you.*
That's about all that's been going on around here.  I realized a few days ago that I still hadn't decided on a pediatrician so I really need to nail that down, but am otherwise feeling pretty good about where things stand.  We're going to be taking a few classes to prepare us for your arrival and I start with a nursing class this week.  I'm a little nervous that the labor & delivery class might just scare the living daylights out of us both, but I still think it will be good for us.

There is one final piece of news that didn't really fit in anywhere else but I must share.  My friend Stephanie and her husband Brandon welcomed Baby Cullen Taylor into the world last Saturday, December 29.  He made his appearance 3 weeks early but as far as I know is doing well.  I am so excited for Stephanie and look forward to meeting Cullen next year when I am able to introduce you as well.  Congrats Taylors!

1 comment:

  1. The home stretch - it's a good place to be!! I can hardly contain my excitement when my local friends ask about my sister and her pregnancy. Looking forward to these last twelve weeks and the precious little niece I'll gain as a result of the wait! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete