Friday, August 16, 2013

Five Months!

You are 5 months old!  Your Daddy and I are head over heels for you.  We love to play with you and make you laugh.  You are amazing.
You continue loving your feet.  You tug on your socks and pull them off far enough to get them in your mouth.  I've caught you with both socks in your mouth at one time.  You've even figured out that if you try hard enough you can pull those socks right off your feet. Sometimes when I try to offer you a toy you turn your nose and I imagine you are telling me "why would I need a toy when I've got these great socks, Mom?"
We're pretty sure your eyes are going to settle on brown.  Some days they still look bluish, but for the most part brown it is and that is okay with us.  Daddy tells you about the song Brown Eyed Girl, but I have yet to hear him sing it to you.
You have become quite the little stinker when it comes to taking medicine or vitamins.  You have learned to tight lip me when I try to give them to you and every day it is a battle to get your vitamin in.  I tried sneaking it in your cereal one day but then you just wouldn't eat the cereal.
You have discovered your fingernails.  When we sit with you on the couch you like to scratch your fingernails against the leather.  I suspect you like the noise.  Daddy hates it.  You do the same thing with the computer chair.
You love to play in the mirror.  At least once a day I try to remember to bring you into our bathroom (which I have renamed "the mirror room") and sit you on the counter.  You love that every way you look you can find more mommies and babies in every direction.  You look for me in each mirror and are amused when I find you and we make eye contact.
You adore your Daddy.  You eat up his attention and your face lights up just seeing him walk in the room.  He has already become "the fun one" as far as you are concerned.  Your newest game is "What" which consists of Daddy saying "what" and tickling you and you laugh and laugh and laugh.
You have become more ticklish over the past couple of weeks.  You giggle during bathtime when I wash your tummy and your feet.  And we can always get laughs out of you by tickling your thighs.
You have become quite adept at rolling up onto your sides from your back, but you still have yet to roll all the way over.
You like to touch my face.  I tell you what all the parts are when you touch them.  "That's mommy's nose, that's mommy's mouth....."  I like to point back and show you where those parts are on your own face, too.
In the news of baby babbles, you have been experimenting with making new high pitched noises and enjoying it very much.
You have gotten really good at eating your cereal and next week you will get your first taste of vegetables.
Sleep is elusive.  What has happened to our little champion sleeper?  I know I mentioned this in another post recently with hopes that it would be a short phase that would be over soon, but I was wrong.  We've been through this for a month with no real signs of improvement.  I am trying to create a routine and schedule so you will eventually start to associate these things with sleep but so far have not had much success.  We've started trying to get you to bed earlier and that seems to help, but we're still far from where we were a month ago.
I try to start each night in the crib, but I'm so tired from getting up and down that I long ago gave up and now once you wake the first time I bring you to our bed for the rest of the night.  You do sleep better there but you are also getting a little too comfortable with your food source right next to you when you wake up.  Now when I lay you down even in your crib, you immediately roll onto your right side and start making fish lips expecting to be fed.  Daddy would disagree, but for me, getting up during the night isn't even the hardest part.  It's getting you to sleep in the first place.  I often spend 90 minutes to 2 hours just getting you to sleep at all, both for naps and bedtime.  There's obviously something I'm not doing right but I just can't figure it out.  You spend the entire time yawning and rubbing your eyes so I know you're tired I just can't help you figure out how to go to sleep.  I know a whole host of people would tell me that letting you cry it out is the only way to go, but that's not for me, no matter how much time I waste in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment