Saturday, August 3, 2013

20 Weeks Old

This week you found your feet!  As a result, I keep finding you sporting what I would call Dustin Thomas socks.  Only your Aunt Brandee and Uncle Matt might possibly know what I'm referring to.  This reference dates back to my childhood (you know, like when dinosaurs roamed the earth) and really just means that the ankles of the socks are down on your feet with the toes and foot portion dangling off the ends.
We have tried solids a few times.  You've shown limited interest thus far so I decided to hold off a bit and we'll try again in a week or so.  The first two times were pretty cute though.  We have only tried rice cereal and it's mixed up pretty runny right now.  You kind of lap at it with your tongue.  I have a video from the very first time we gave it to you that I will be sure to share.
You have started a new thing where you grab hold of the hair on the back of your head with your left hand.  We're not really sure where this came from or why.  Daddy has seen you do this when you were so upset that you ended up pulling out some of your own hair.  Let's not do that anymore, Sweetheart.
You are figuring out cause and effect relationships.  A couple of weeks ago you totally blew my mind when I was holding onto a pacifier.  You knew you wanted that pacifier and you knew that my hand puts it in your mouth.  So instead of reaching for the pacifier, you reached for my hand and pulled it toward you.  Maybe it was just a coincidence, but you did it several times, so I'm going to go ahead and say you're just a brilliant baby.  Though I may be biased.
We are about to move you into size 4 diapers.  I don't have any idea what is considered "normal" on diaper sizes in relation to age, but I certainly didn't expect to have powered through 4 sizes in 4 months.  And when I say 4 sizes, that's only because we'd received some Newborn diapers as gifts, we really could have skipped that size altogether.  In fact, we used mostly size 1 in the hospital, including the very first diaper you ever had on when you were first born.
I have now been back to work for 4 days with mixed success.  I know that it is good for me to be back and I sure get excited to play with you by the end of the day.  But it's also been a rough week.  The nanny has been great with you, but there's also something very strange about having someone come into our home and take care of our child, especially when you are upset.  I found myself sitting at my desk in tears several times on Thursday.  I just think it's going to be a really hard transition for me.
The nanny has had some success with giving you bottles.  I am both happy and a little sad about this.
Finally, our little champion sleeper has decided to take a vacation.  This started when you had a cold a couple of weeks ago.  You started waking at night, but I couldn't really blame you.  It was hard for you to breathe and you were coughing a lot and, quite frankly not eating all that well during the day, so I couldn't blame you for being hungry.  The problem is, you got better, your sleep patterns did not.  In fact, they've gotten worse.  It's nearly impossible to get you to sleep in the evenings.  When we do, and try to put you in your crib, you immediately wake back up and are not happy about it.  If we do get you to sleep and laying down, you wake again after about 30 minutes to an hour.  We sometimes go through this for several hours before Daddy and I ever get to bed.  More than once he and I have been laying in bed because we're so exhausted we just can't stay up anymore, and you are there with us, WIDE awake.  Once we do finally get you to sleep, you are now back to waking once during the night.  I don't know if you're hungry or not, but I do know that's the fastest way to get you (and me) back to sleep, so most nights I feed you anyway.  I am sure that's not the right thing to do, but at 3 or 4 a.m. when my alarm is set for 5:30, I don't really care what's the "right" thing.  As a result of this, you've slept in your bouncy seat next to our bed for the past week.  I don't know how long this will last, but we hope it is a phase that passes quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment