The end of December and the end of 2020. I think a lot of people are saying good riddance to this year, myself included, but I also know we have a lot to be thankful for. We are healthy and safe and we have been fortunate enough to keep our jobs and keep you enrolled in Hyflex learning. We are enjoying our extra time together and I will always be thankful for our close family relationship and the fact that you actually LOVE being at home with us. I hope that 2021 proves to be a more positive year for the world in many ways, but I am also thankful that we have been so fortunate during such a turbulent time.
A couple of memorable takeaways from this month:
1. You like to demand a "proper" goodnight from each of us, which lasts at least several minutes (longer if you can get away with it) and requires at least one "proper" hug and kiss. If it's not proper, we have to keep trying until it meets your standards.
2. One day Dad was watching random YouTube videos including one where a guy was restoring an old sword. You were fully engrossed with the process and at one point declared, "He's spending too much time on the hilt." Dad and I exchanged looks of confusion/surprise/pride at your extensive sword terminology. You really have an astounding vocabulary, not just for a 7 year old, but for anyone. I attribute that 100% to your reading.
It seems like ages ago now, but just a few short weeks ago at the beginning of December we were still sitting on the floor working on cardboard boxes.
Ah, the day the furniture arrived! We had great plans to to keep you and I out of the house and Dad was going to have minimal contact with the movers. But then, as with every single aspect of dealing with this mover, everything went wrong. He was late. He showed up ALONE. I gave up on even trying to go anywhere and you and I just sat in the car reading books mostly. Dad had to help unload everything. Most of our things were completely beat up. It was almost 9pm before they were finished and we were all just ready to be done with this guy and never see him again.
You did take advantage of some fun Tesla perks and made pictures in the drawing app.
My priorities when the furniture arrived:
1. Beds.
2. Your desk.
3. Christmas tree.
Dad and I opted to keep our books boxed up in the rental house, which meant the big bookshelf was available for you. I had plenty of unpacking to get the whole house in order so I told you that you could unpack and organize your books however you wanted and you did a great job. Check out this organization!
Someone in your class tested positive for COVID so the whole class went remote for 2 weeks. I feel bad for whoever it was (I don't know), but you were thrilled for the change.
Ugh. So much to unpack!
But we have to prioritize and that means CHRISTMAS COOKIES!
This year I am really proud that I put my controlling nature on the back burner and let you take the lead on this. I know it was more fun for you and you did a great job.
Reading corner!
Remember all those books? Tada! Now what in the world are we going to do with all the new ones from Christmas?!?
Spirit week plaid day. You refused to wear the only plaid that you own (your school jumper) so we opted for a handkerchief headwrap. I didn't get pictures of all your outfits that week but this one was so cute I couldn't resist.
Ugly (or not so ugly) sweater day. This year you came up with the design all on your own and I love it!
I usually try to take you to see a live performance each year roughly around Christmastime, which means we have seen The Nutcracker several times. Since live performances aren't happening right now, we bought "tickets" to stream a prior year's performance from the Pacific Northwest Ballet. To make it feel special, we opted to dress up just as if we were going to see it live. We even bought a Nutcracker gift box to go along but it wasn't here yet for the first day we watched it so we just decided we were going to have to watch again once the box arrived.
First day of winter break! Christmas/winter-themed fun worksheets.
Decorating those yummy cookies.
Family hike. Such an entirely different experience than Southern California hiking.
A phone booth!?!
We both bought new waterproof hiking boots and were excited to try them out. Feet stayed warm and dry!
Cookies!
Gifts!
The official Britz Family 2020 ornament.
Finally got that Nutcracker box! It had a Nutcracker (obviously)....
....a mug....
....2 ornaments, chocolate, a calendar, and a poster. There could have been something else, I don't really remember. It was fun for sure!
My little kitchen helper back at it for the Christmas Eve lasagna.
And prepping cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning. I really am so impressed with how helpful you have been in the kitchen lately. It's so nice for me to have your company and you seem like you are actually enjoying it. I hope you will keep it up!
Cutting the rolls with dental floss is your favorite part.
Christmas Eve charades.
Fort Casey State Park.
I told you it was okay to run around in the huge open grassy area and I think you almost didn't believe me. Like after being at home for 9 months you kind of forget about the freedom of just running around in grass.
I was complaining about meal planning again. I HATE meal planning. So you decided you were going to plan a meal for me, which included ginger snaps. Pretty sure this was just an excuse for you to get more treats, but I appreciate the effort so we did it anyway.
We had everything but the orange marmalade.
New Year's Eve! At Christmas, you received the privilege of reading the last Harry Potter book, The Deathly Hallows. We read all week and finished the book on New Years Eve! This was a huge accomplishment because when we were getting close to the end it occurred to me that if we finished that day it would mean that we read the entire series during 2020! In fact, just since April. So once we were that close, I felt like for our own sense of accomplishment we had to do it and I read and read until I had no voice left, but we did it!
Once we finished it was already dinnertime and we decided we were going to ring in the New Year with Chex Mix for dinner and then start the movie right away. So THAT is how we wrapped up 2020 on a high note. Cheers!
















































No comments:
Post a Comment