Sunday, January 31, 2021

January 2021

Well, this year got off to a bit of a rocky start with the January 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, but by the 20th we were all breathing a sigh of relief as President Biden was sworn into office without a hitch. It's been a long, long 4 years and we're certainly not out of the woods yet, but I am still happy to say that President Trump is a thing of the past. One day we can look back and talk about how we lived through this period of history, but for right now, let's just look forward.

Since your class was in distance learning for the last two weeks before winter break, Mrs. Schnure had stockings in the classroom when the students returned in January and each morning they found a little gift inside.  Your surprises were not the same as your classmates, but you were so excited each day. And since it was up to me to be your Santa, I went with a Harry Potter theme for the whole week: pencils, erasers, bookmarks, mini books, and a few tasty treats to enjoy with an afternoon movie on Friday.

You've been experiencing a little post-Potter melancholy this month. A few days after we finished the last Harry Potter book you were truly upset that there are no more books to read. I have encouraged you to write your own book of what you think should happen after The Deathly Hallows. You have a whole notebook page of ideas but I haven't yet seen you actually start writing anything yet.

Also, one random day I decided to make popcorn for a snack and you walked into the kitchen and declared, "it smells like Harry Potter." Because apparently popcorn is only for watching Harry Potter movies.

Mystery Science: Why is there sand at the beach? This was a fun visual of how rocks from mountains tumble down rivers and streams, getting broken up along the way, until they finally make it all the way to the shore in the form of sand.



You have been reading Harry Potter to Grandma and Grandpa via Skype.
Your class won an ice cream party for selling the most fundraiser items so I had to make sure you weren't left out. Daiya ice cream bars were delicious!
Ugh, the day without power. We had a nasty windstorm one night and it knocked out power to huge swaths of western Washington. Most of the island was powerless for about 24 hours. I was thrilled that I knew where the electric candles were and I was able to find them in the dark fairly easily. You had a ball moving them around throughout the house for the first couple of hours and generally thought it was a fantastic day. I mostly just wanted a warm shower and spent most of the day piling on more layers of clothes and blankets.
No power means no internet, school, or work. And without the ability to print, once again I had to hand-write your worksheets.
You asked Mrs. Schnure if you could read a book to the class and you chose Badger's Happy Feeling, one of our favorites.

Mystery Science: What's strong enough to make a canyon?

Doodle Crate tie dye messenger bag. I apparently never took a picture of the final product.

Hiking at Deception Pass. This is truly a beautiful place.

On this hike we saw some signs about preserving the area for the bald eagles and other animals. This has been an exciting development for Dad and I. We first saw a bald eagle last month at Fort Casey State Park and since then we've been able to see them several times just out the kitchen window or walking around in the neighborhood. I think you were not that impressed initially, but Dad and I were in awe. I've lived 37 years without ever seeing a bald eagle before and now here they are right in our backyard.













Beginning of 2nd semester means now Music and Spanish are replaced by Technology and Art. For Technology you start the first 5 minutes of each class working on typing skills!
When your tea is too hot, just alternate with cold water.

I was loving this stylish, dreamy, white outfit you picked out.

Mystery Science: Why do we wear clothes? You were supposed to make a hat to protect you from the sun using supplies from the theoretical lunch bag that you had with you when getting stranded on a deserted island.

Tea Party with Mom! You earned this by folding laundry for me all by yourself!
And finally, I am pleased to announce that we have found a house! If all goes as planned, we will take ownership next month!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment