Wednesday, August 31, 2022

August 2022

Wow! What a fun month! Since you stayed so busy with theater for June and July, in some ways it didn't really feel like your summer began until August, but we just tried to fit in as much summer as we could this month. It was busy, but a lot of fun! You even learned how to use your own Google calendar so you started making up things to do and sending me calendar invitations and I'm pretty sure we got everything done that you requested.

August 1: Tea Party!

Visit to Castle Park.
Your own surprise cookie delivery to celebrate all your hard work with The Wizard of Oz.
Morning hike. I am always looking for ways to make sure we are getting enough exercise each day and you and I discovered that we really enjoy going for a hike every morning after breakfast. So much so, that on the few days we didn't do it, you were even noticing that you just didn't feel as good. We tried several different places, but in the end we really enjoyed Trustland Trails and settled on going there almost every day.
We finally completed our last Adults & Crafts craft box that has been sitting around for months. This one was a little harder than I expected to get the results we were hoping for, but we enjoyed the process anyway. We made a set of coasters and a light that is now in your bedroom using alcohol inks.

Ares got used to you being home more and became more comfortable sitting with you for longer bits of time. You are over the moon about this.
Family day trip to Port Townsend.
You created your own store to sell Cheerers (essentially a ribbon attached to a stick to wave in the air). I have to say I love a store that accepts payment in the form of leaves.




Of course you still love to snuggle with Caticat, too.
We wanted to take a short family trip and our primary goal was to stay in a hotel with a nice pool. I found us a place in Bellevue and added on a visit to Snoqualmie Falls on the way.









We spent a couple of hours at the waterfall doing a hike and checking out the gift shop, got some lunch, and then headed to Bellevue Club Hotel.

The pool was great. A little busy on the day we arrived, but still plenty of room to swim. And on the next morning we were the first ones there and had it all to ourselves for awhile before anyone else showed up!
It was a super short trip, but just what we needed. This was also the first time we've been away overnight since we adopted Ares so it was kind of a test run to see how that went. Our neighbor, Kris, took care of him while we were away and all was well. I am a worrier by nature, so I will probably always worry about him when we have to leave him, but this was a good first try. You were worried about him, too. I just love your big heart. As soon as we got home we were all ready to give him some love.

Up Up Up Crane Truck Circus fundraiser. You loved this more than I would have guessed.
I think the dancing pink horse was really the highlight for me.
We found a local craft store that we were previously unaware of and super excited to find this Bob Ross cutout in the paint section. We LOVE Bob Ross!
We got to go see my friend Erica and her family staying on Guemes Island. Carmen will be 2 in November and you brought the whole Sparkly-Eyed Gang (stuffed animals) to share with her.


In the course of introducing the neighbor to Ares, we discovered that she volunteers at the Mukilteo Lighthouse and she offered to give us a private tour! (Sparkly-Eyed Gang in tow.)

Neighbor Kris.

 Craft and Game Day.

Mommy-Daughter Day in Langley. We just now discovered that this statue is a Wishing Whale and donations help with upkeep of the park so we thought we needed to contribute.

We perused some of our favorite stores, had lunch and hot chocolate/lattes at Commons, visited the library, and walked down by the water. You even convinced me to let you get cotton candy from Sprinklz.

You had two crafting dates with Darci this month, which seemed to get you in the painting mood. We had been discussing updating some of the decorations in your bedroom so I suggested you make some paintings from these 3D cardboard pieces that were actually packing material from our new deck furniture. We are master-level repurposers.

Adorable!

 

Finally, in an effort to get as much summer in as possible, you planned us some deck camping for the last two nights before school started. Your requirement was to sleep in the tent, then spend an entire day outside and sleep in the tent again, as if we were truly camping. You never suggested real camping at an actual campsite, and that is okay by me!

Here's your official list of activities. I think we got to everything except Uno and stargazing, and we forgot the bug spray.

You even insisted that we change into pajamas in the tent, though I had to demand I still get a shower the next morning.

On our first night in the tent, as it was getting darker outside a light in the house flicked on, then off, and then came back on and stayed on. You gasped, then asked, in a panic, "What is that?!? Is it a burglar?!? Is it Morse Code?!?" I am still laughing about the Morse Code conclusion.

Writing a camping-themed story. We alternated writing each sentence. I thought we ended up with a pretty great tale.

Breakfast outside, of course.

 

  

Proof that I participated in the obstacle course.

 

Leaving motivational messages for Dad to find when he does the weed eating.

 

Rock pets. This ended up being possibly our favorite activity of the day.

 

 

 

We thought they were adorable lined up on the step, but not the best permanent location. The next day we went out and you carefully placed them on all the wood planks next to the steps so they are like the welcoming committee to anyone visiting our front door.

 

Lunch.

 

Nature rubbings.

 

Glow sticks.

I am going to end this post the same way I started it: Wow! What a fun month! I don't have any pictures to share but somewhere in there we also got a day trip to Seattle to visit my friend Megan and her new baby Madelyn. And we went to see Loves Labour's Lost at the Island Shakespeare festival with my friend Lis and her husband Zvi.

No comments:

Post a Comment