I woke up around 1:25 a.m. needing to go to the bathroom,
nothing unusual. But before I even sat
up, I suddenly felt something was different, and then pain. Strong pain and a bit of a nauseous, feverish
feeling. I got up, went to the bathroom,
and sat there quizzically for several minutes trying to wrap my arms around what
I was feeling. I was sure it was
nothing, no need to jump to conclusions, so I went back to bed. I lay awake trying to figure out why the pain
wouldn’t go away. I didn’t know anything
about labor contractions, but this was not what I would have expected.
Finally I got back up, grabbed my tablet, and went back to
the bathroom to Google what labor contractions feel like. In this short amount of time, I soon found
that on top of the pain, my underwear were all wet. Could my water have broken? Surely not.
So I sat in the bathroom reading about labor pains and consistently
finding descriptions that sounded exactly like what I was feeling. I got up and tested the water break theory
using some of Dr. Rosenbaum’s suggestions, and sure enough, I was in labor.
Now 2:00, I went back to the bedroom to wake Johnathon. He groggily woke up, but as soon as I told
him we needed to head to the hospital, he was suddenly much more
responsive. Knowing I probably wouldn’t
have another chance to shower for quite some time, I jumped in for a quick
shower, and he went around the house collecting all of the last minute items we
needed to bring with us.
We got everything we needed into the car and we were on our
way. The car had never been more
uncomfortable than it was during this trip, but we made it to the hospital in
record timing, parked the car, and I was admitted to the hospital around 3:00.
We were given a room, I changed into a gown, and answered a
long series of questions as the nurse got all the information about me and what
I was feeling. Meanwhile the
contractions continued to baffle me as I felt that they were much more of a
continuous pain with moments that were increasingly more extreme than others,
rather than a rhythm of contractions mixed with breaks.
The hospital got in touch with Dr. Rosenbaum and determined
they had an opening for a C-section at 7:00.
Around 5:00, I was very happy to see the anesthesiologists come in to
start an epidural. They seemed to think
I was a champ at dealing with pain, but I think the truth is I was so happy to
see them that I would have done anything to make their job easier at that
point. By 5:15 I was feeling relief and
happy to have the next hour and a half to relax.
Shortly before 7:00, the nurse helped Johnathon move all of
our things into a recovery room, he put on his own gown to cover his clothes,
and we were headed to operation. We saw
Dr. Rosenbaum in the hallway and she stopped us to see how we were both doing
and it was comforting to see her familiar face before heading in.
When we got to the operating room, the nurse asked Johnathon
to wait outside while I was prepped. My
bed was wheeled into a cold room with bright spotlights and medical tools and
machines in every direction. I was
immediately swarmed by a whole team of people who started prepping me from all
directions. They were all very nice and
everyone introduced themselves to me before beginning anything, yet still, I
was scared.
The preparation took longer than I expected and by the time
I saw Johnathon walk in the room I was so relieved to have him back at my
side. By now there was a curtain up
blocking my view and both of my arms were stretched out at each side and there
were wires and tubes attached to me from every which way. And I was freezing. They told me it was really normal, but I just
couldn’t stop shaking, despite several warm blankets laying across my arms and
legs.
Before I knew it, the doctors were in the room and the
surgery was underway. I was completely
numb from the chest down (obviously), but aware enough that I could feel that something was being done to my
body. I remember bits and pieces of the
conversation among the medical staff, and I remember feeling like it took much
longer than I’d expected. I do remember
Dr. Rosenbaum telling me that I was actually really skinny under all that belly
and as it turns out, it really was all baby.
She’s great and it was good to hear to some lighthearted conversation
during all this chaos.
Finally I heard her tell Johnathon that she was getting
ready to pull out the baby and if he wanted to look, now was the time (and he
did). Now was when I felt, not pain, but
some tugging sensations, which was really weird. And before long, a baby cried.
I thought I might cry, but I didn’t. It was definitely an overwhelming feeling
though. A couple of the nurses
immediately took you to a warmer to check you over and clean you up. The doctors continued to work on me for quite
some time after this, but at that point, I was oblivious to all that. I just kept looking towards where the nurses
were, but I still couldn’t see you.
Johnathon got up and took some pictures and I could hear your cry, but I
just couldn’t see you.
Eventually the anesthesiologist realized that my view was
blocked, and he moved the edge of the curtain so I could see where the nurses
were working. Now I got my first sight
of your little arms and legs flailing. I
still couldn’t see your head or body, but just seeing your little limbs was
another overwhelming feeling.
Eventually the nurses announced your weight at 9 lbs 10 oz,
length of 21 inches, and time of delivery 7:49 a.m. And as soon as they had you all wrapped up,
they brought you to me and (after helping untangle my arms) laid you on my
chest and in my arms. I just lay there
looking at you in disbelief feeling incredibly happy and yet getting used to
the feeling of having a stranger in my arms who is now all ours.
Due to my limited ability to move my arms and the way I was
laying, you kept sliding towards my face and eventually Daddy picked you up for
his first chance to hold you. As I
watched him, he looked both like he had no idea what to do with an infant, and
yet completely natural at it, at the same time.
When she was done stitching me up, Dr. Rosenbaum came around
the curtain to let me know that everything went well and she jumped right in
and started taking pictures for us. She
also confirmed that the decision to go with the C-section was a good decision
as she had to do some maneuvering you get your shoulders out as it was and had
I attempted a normal delivery, that is exactly what we were worried would
happen.
Soon they had me all cleaned up and we got a few quick
photos as a family and a couple with Dr. Rosenbaum and we were off to
recovery. Here I was finally able to
hold you a little better and I was even able to nurse a little bit right
away. You took to it like a natural and
I just enjoyed the opportunity to take you in.
Daddy handled making phone calls to all of our family to deliver the
news and I was thankful he took charge of that task as I was really not up for
it at that point.
After about an hour we were moved one last time into a
postpartum room where we would spend the next few days as a family. For the rest of today, you and I were both
monitored quite regularly and I was still hooked up to a lot of wires. Your Daddy and I were both happy to hold you
and get to know you, but overall I was sort of groggy and maybe a little in
shock. I had some nausea from the medicines
used for surgery and spent some time dry heaving in a pink plastic tub, but
even feeling miserable couldn’t break my spirit today.
I was confined to bed for the day, but Johnathon was able to
be there for your first bath and immunizations and I’m not even sure what
else. You slept most of the day and I
was just happy for your arrival.
No comments:
Post a Comment